Saturday 23 March 2019

My morning in Varen

This morning in Varen was a bit different, as many of the usual Mains Tendues players were either on the  march in London or on holiday.
I got myself to the market at 7. 45 am to set up the friperie.
It was a cold bright morning, I arrived with all the cheery hellos from fellow stall holders.
We do not have electricity in our building so we run a cable from the house of a Dutch neighbour who kindly lets us plug in.
It is always a bit of a palaver. Today a couple of French stallholders rushed to help me, even though they  themselves were setting up.
The owner of our building who has a large smart hotel in the Place Capitole in Toulouse heard we were short staffed and had the morning off to come and be my assistant.
The Maire passed by  as I was setting up and thanked me for what our group are doing.
All the villagers came and bought, well everything you could imagine and some you could not.
The sun shone and articles came in and out, our great team who were there beavered away in the old mairie selling clothes whilst others were upstairs cleaning newly fitted shelves.
Dutch, English, Canadians, French, Americans and probably even more different nationalities worked together with smiles and laughter. The market buzzed.
Malc did our market shop and came as he does to check I am not getting myself in to more trouble than usual.
We both agreed the atmosphere was great, so much so we have a new French recruit who wants to work with us next week.
I cannot believe I am so lucky to have such a great team of people I can rely on and others in the market who will rush to help and all in multi languages but with over riding SMILES.
We did miss you Sarah, Terence, Liz and Susan, but hey with all the help I got I could cope.... and we took over 800 euros in  5 hours.
How many can we help with that?
taglines82@gmail.com