Friday 11 July 2014

How do you react to this one?

1. If you invite French people into your home along with English people which language would you speak?
2.If you are out with an English speaking friend and are within ear shot of French people which language would you speak?
3. If you are in a restaurant and ordering a meal which language would you speak, even if the waiter / waitress spoke  English?

I have had it pointed out to me by French and Dutch people  that if we live here we should speak the language and that means whenever French are present.
This took a bit of getting my head around.
I can honestly say for question  number 1 that I agree that speaking French is essential and that even trying with not very good French is preferable to speaking English.
For question number 2 it had never crossed my mind that the French might think it rude to speak English when we were with other English, just when they were within earshot.
I had an example of this when I had been at the Mairie this week and Marcia Scott and I had a word with the Mayor. As soon as he turned to leave I started speaking English and  I noticed Marcia quickly turned the language back to French. When the Mayor got into his car and went out of earshot  the language turned back to English, of course a second language for Dutch Marcia.
It did though make me think about the sensibilities of the French and wondering if I can try harder.
On number 3 I often find waiters love to practise their English and it is often a fight to speak French, but I usually say " nous preferons a parler français"
I can see why speaking French is so important to us integrating and so I feel I need to "up my game"
with my French lessons.
If you are a holiday maker or second homer I think different rules apply, but these questions apply to those of us who spend our lives here
 It is all a wonderfully interesting challenge living here but I am up for it, are you?

Malc says what about if we are in the market and I ask you if we wanted to buy something? Surely I could ask that in English with out offending anyone? It is number 2 that is hard to get your head around,
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com