Tuesday 7 August 2012

This is a scam

Please warn people to ignore calls from people posing as Microsoft or possibly Windows personnel - when challenged they claim to be a company called Reubens IT and sometimes AVG. They call you and suggest that they have received reports of problems coming back from your desktop or laptop through the microsoft system network. Once having convinced you that your computer is in imminent danger of collapse and needs to be sorted they persuade you to allow them access into your computer - this is easily done by directing you to press the right buttons allowing access.
They will then spread chaos into your computer and then give you the bad news of having 'found multiple problems' to which they offer a solution. For a fee they will rid your computer of the problems (they have just installed)!! This happened to a friend of mine in Brighton and it cost her a lot of money to put things right. I have now heard of a friend in France who has been a victim of this iniquitous practice. This morning I had a call from one of these conmen - I knew what to expect and sent him packing but I could easily have been taken in if I had not heard of the scam. They play on your fear and have an answer for everything -but NEVER let them persuade you to allow access. I do not have a clue how they obtained my telephone number or indeed my name.
By the way I think Taglines is great - well done!
Terri


Just to let you know I was targeted by the Windows scammers and also heard

about someone else. I took their phone number but never called them back


Vanessa Ainsworth