Saturday 8 August 2015

I know to my cost, write to TAG, you may get a reply you do not like.

Val:

Well, I expected some reaction but yikes!  I really was trying to write a reflective piece on the subject.  I believe I said at the very beginning that I didn't think all immigrants were bad, criminal, etc...I clearly stated I had great sympathy./empathy for the families, the elderly and yes, MANY of the young men and what they have gone through to get to Europe. But I stand by my belief that most of these young men must be identified and determined which category of immigrant they really are.

I'm sorry that the "susans' chose to become personal and not try to really absorb my comments. They chose to just, as usual, and as the norm these days, shoot from the hip with sentimental statements,  not giving a whit of a thought to the possibility that any of it might be true.  And Val, I don't believe I ever called anyone cowardly...but one does have to consider, I state again, that if even half of these men have left for that reason, why would you want them in your country?  Do you really think they will become model citizens? Why is it we elevate English or US soldiers and praise their service to our countries but yet we will give these others a pass?  I'm talking about the morality factor here. We send OUR men to fight in these countries but we don't expect THEIR men to defend their own?  

As to medical care...yes, of course, medical care should be given, but I was referring to the point of arrival.  Just as was the norm in America for decades when accepting immigrants...full medical checks to see if they were having flu or any other symptoms...if they did, they were quarantined for a period until better.  What is so terrible about that?  Does anyone care about the greater good?  

And just to give you a bit of my history.  I was in one of the first marches against the Vietnam War in the 60's in New York City.  I worked with the Maryknoll missionaries suffering from the oppression of the Sandanistas in El Salvador.  I have been involved in a myriad of causes in my life but that doesn't stop one from trying to see all sides of a situation.  I have also "walked in their shoes" a bit when I had to live in my car for weeks, with a child, because our car had broken down driving cross-country and I became penniless.  I know what it is like to have to beg people to help, to wash in the park lavoratories,  to have to depend on the kindness of strangers to care for my son while I  got a temporary cleaning job just to get enough money to pay for a cheap motel room and save enough money to fix the car.  Yes, one could say my choices dictated all that, but I tell you this just so you know that I do understand what these people are going through.

I'm glad you recognize that there are many sides and views to situations but I'm not sure some of your readers do, or want to. I do read a lot but not just from one viewpoint and I do try to form my opinions from "fact." But there are facts and then there are facts.  I regret writing "the poor dears" because it almost negates the whole letter ; suffice to say, it was a petty thing to say, so, sorry for that.  Anyway, just wanted to get a few things on record.  In the future, I think we'll just discuss animals.  I'm like DeGaulle who said: "The more I know human beings, the more I like dogs." 

And what a great job you do for the animal (and the human) world...I admire you two no end.  

Carolyn Byrne
Les Cabannes

Val says  This is a subject that is so worrying that we all have views on it. Carolyn has her views and I am sure from the number of enjoys her post received that many agree with her.
Malc and I take a  totally different line and I think everyone knows our " Guardian" views. 
All views are valid and I appreciate Carolyn spending the time to write though I do not agree with her reasoning. 
It is a dilemma that I defy people not to discuss, we certainly have. I wish we had come up with a solution. 
I do not think I have been admired before, but it shows, the lady obviously talks some sense.