Thursday 22 March 2012

Local runner Karen Sweeting back from Rome with Marathon tales


Firstly can I point out that a Marathon is 26 miles 385 yards, or 42.195km’s long.  No more, no less.  Anything other than that, it’s NOT a Marathon.
It is a race, for those that wish to race, and most do, and most are trying to beat their last time, or get a reasonably good time if it’s their first, or just get round to say they’ve done it.  Some do it again, and again, and again, some never ever do.  Some say “Never Again”, but do……i.e. ME..!
 Rome is my 5th Marathon.  “Why?” I am always asked, sadly I cannot answer that.  I just love the running; although not always the length! Or the training…. I adore the people who run, the sportsmanship of it all, the challenges people take on, and the determination of getting across that finish line. 
 Time isn’t too important to me, although I do like to get round in under 5 hours if I can, I’m no Paula Radcliffe, let’s face it, but when I crossed the line in London (2003) in 4:38  it was just so exhilarating I can’t explain the feeling of being there, finishing, tears and emotional hugs with strangers (James was not allowed in the finish area!) then meeting him outside and hugging him, the medal – worn with pride all the way home.  I can honestly say, apart from our marriage, it was one of the best days of my life.  And the money I raised (well over 6k) went to several Charities too.    
Now I guess it’s a tad boring that I’ve done 5…?  NO WAY, I still love the rush of the day, the morning nerves, getting up SOOO early to eat a huge breakfast, getting to the start line with, sometimes, up to 38,000 others.  Amazing beyond belief.  The most amazing sight I have is the Champs D’Elysee stretched out before me, I was right at one end (the back!), and for as far as you could see, there were runners – Paris 2007.  Sadly although I’d trained very hard for that one, I pulled a thigh muscle half way round and limped to the finish – determined to cross that line at whatever cost….Post marathon meet ups with lots of family and friends and a well earned drink and forgot my pain and sorrow.  There is always another one.
The smaller ones are good too, Toulouse 2010 was a much smaller affair with about 6,000 and celebrating my “zero birthday” I was determined to get this one right.  It became my Personal Best (PB) at 4.32.30.  The record still stands; I hope to beat it someday.
Shorter races are great fun; I particularly love the 11k race in Caussade, first Sunday in March and have now done this 5 times.  There is such a good turn out for such a small place and everyone is eager to get a good time, and it is all taken very seriously.  French races are on the up, cycling being the first love of course, but running is becoming more and more popular, and the goody bags at the end never cease to amaze me.  Always a good t-shirt, jams, biscuits, vouchers for some spa or other, fruit, sandwich and of course the obligatory bottle of wine, and that’s all after you have been thrust a bottle of beer and a baguette and the end of the race..!!  This year I managed a PB and won my age group too!!
Well, No. 5 has been completed and as most of you know we’ve just been to Rome, a short holiday as well as running the Marathon.  I thought London was good, this was THE BEST….sadly not my time, but given all the circumstances; the heat (it was blisteringly hot – I have the sunburn to prove it!), the sights (we ran round the lot….!!) then the horrible narrow streets with those crippling cobbles.   The start and the finish at the Colosseum was awesome.
I managed it in 5hrs according to my Garmin (watch) and was pleased with that.  It was one of the best for sightseeing, many runners stopping on route to have their photos taken with many a famous landmark.  It was truly amazing. 
So, will this be my last…….? who knows…..but I won’t be giving up running that’s for sure.  Make sure you give me a wave and a hoot of the horn when you see me out there. Thanks.