Sunday 16 September 2018

Acquiring French nationality

Hello Di

I saw your question on Val's blog, Tag Lines.  

I don't think there's any particular privilege given to EU nationals when it comes to acquiring French citizenship - it's something I think is open equally to people of all nationalities who are legally resident here.  Were it not, I think the Poms who are whingeing about Brexit (me included) would have it on their long list of privileges they stand to lose when the UK leaves the EU.  

The regulations governing the grant of French nationality state that the Interior Ministry has 2 years to decide whether to say yes or no in any individual case, and that this is reduced to 1 year if the applicant has been French resident for more than 10 years.  I don't know which applies if an applicant passes the 10 year point while their application is being processed! 

Hope this helps in some small measure.

Best wishes

Chris     
Taglines82@gmail.com