Sunday 5 February 2012

Books to jump on / or not

William Boyd's Restless gets the award for my book of the year(it is only February )It was winner of the Costa Novel Award in 2006. An unusual spy thriller which I struggled to put down, with wonderful narrative.The day after I kept thinking how life must have been for the main character.
Winner of the Man Booker Prize in 2005 John Banville's The Sea. Really enjoyed this although quite sad being a masterly study of grief. Knew I would enjoy it as on the back was a good review by fellow bookseller Rick Gekoski,who writes for The Times
Appealing to our baser instincts Tess Gerritsen, I have three of these to come back and I enjoyed all. Lots of blood, gore,mystery and suspense well written.
Last and definitely least Alan Clark and his lousy Diaries. Lacking in charity often lewd I hated every chapter but read on tutting all the way. Please someone jump on it as I really do not want to have to take it home again. Reminded me of the Bill Wyman autobiography which was on balance probably worse.
All these and many more will be at the book swap 10.30am Tuesday 28th of Feb. at the Gazpacho in St. Antonin. Come along with a selection of books you do not mind ever seeing again and swap for others. We expect every one to play fair and not dump their rubbish and take good stuff away and in that way it works for us all