Thursday 24 April 2014

Irena talks sense


I don’t know how to comment online hence I’m emailing you.

I have a complete lack of belonging anywhere.  Sometimes it bothers me, more often not.  My father is Polish, and his family background is Ukrainian, Russian French and Mongolian.  My mother was from the North of England, her mother was Scottish, her father Irish!  I grew up in South Africa and have lived in many places.  I’ve always thought of myself as South African but I’m not really and not considered SA by my friends there.  I don’t identify with the UK, although I was born there.

I do think the Dutch integrate more easily and I don’t think it’s just because of their ability to speak many languages, it’s their open nature and perhaps they don’t feel ‘outsiders’, or are not as bothered by it.  Although that’s just a personal opinion. 

Even some close French friends will let slip that ‘so many English people come here and just don’t try to learn their culture or language’.  I was rather shocked how strongly they felt about it.  Living in France makes me aware that I am an ‘outsider’ whereas in other countries I didn’t feel like that.   But then maybe in other countries I didn’t mind, so why do I mind here?

I have met a few English speaking individuals living here who declare proudly “oh we don’t mix with the English, we only have French friends…”  I have to admit I do find that amusing, if not a little sad that they feel the need to even say that!

We humans are tribal and I think that we do revert back to our own ancestral cultures and beliefs – although we’d be a happier world if we simply accepted one another!!!

As for me I love living here… J and yes I would love to integrate more but I think most of that is up to me!

Irena xx

Irena-Marie Makowska, Dip Hyp, GHR, GHSC
Clinical Hypnotherapist & Certified Practitioner
Executive Coach | Business Trainer

Comments to taglines82@gmail.com