Thursday 24 April 2014

Fine and Dandy, Val adds with " pissenlits"

Dear Val and Malc
Fine and Dandy
With all this talk of Orchids, I feel that someone needs to stand up for the less showy offerings; what could be better than the lowly Dandelion or Dent de Lion, which sounds better than the other Frenchname for it.  Our field was full of their yellow heads, a real treat to see like miniature suns nodding in the spring breeze.  Now the flowers have gone to be replaced with the wispy seed-heads waiting to be taken on the wind to scatter across the fields (ahhh).  There are many photos of Dandelion heads on the internet and on people's computers.  Here is my take on this photogenic subject. These were taken this morning whilst funnily enough, I was out looking for Orchids.  

I was talking to someone recently about close-ups and it is really difficult to take a photo and expect it all to be in focus from front to back.  The problem is physics.  I will not bore you to death with the ins and outs but instead the answer is to take many shots, with a different part of the subject in focus,  then stack them one on top of each other: bloomin' magic.  Okay, I have relented and included a picture of a Lady Orchid for your viewing pleasure with the steps that I took to create the resulting image.

Nev



Val says to view other pics, go to Wild Pictures and the other name for dandelions is " pissenlits" You might guess I would like that name best!
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com