Thursday 24 November 2011

Books to jump on

To the coming book swap on the 5th Dec. I will be taking two Detective stories by Andrea Camilleri from  the humourous  Inspector Montalbano series set in Sicily. They are beautifully written and the smells and colours and landscapes of Sicily come to life. We have seen two productions of them on BBC 4 in Italian with English subtitles which we enjoyed very much. Another which I think many will have read is A.S.Byatt's The Children's Book with some loose pages as it has been so well read. Going back in time but a book I have read more than once J. M. Coetzee's  Disgrace which was rightly a winner in 1999 of what was then just The Booker Prize. Winner of the Man Booker Prize in 2003 Vernon God Little by D.B.C. Pierre. I picked this  up at the last book swap and many thanks to who ever took that one. In 2003 he was just starting his second novel Ludmilla's Broken English, it has not had good reviews but the man himself being interviewed by Andrew Denton sounds an interesting, oddball scoundrel. Read that interview on  http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/transcripts/s1642002.htm
Another I will be taking is Margaret Attwood's Amazing Grace, a novel I really enjoyed but it was brought over to France by my brother-in-law who had ploughed through it because he knew it was worthy.[so not everyone's cup of tea]
Tony Parsons Man and Boy must be a favourite of mine as I tend to pick it up at every brocante I go to and then remember I have read it and knew it was good.
I never used to read crime books but it seems to be such a popular genre that I have been coaxed  in and there will be lots of Patricia Cornwell's etc.coming. Last but not least Michele Giuttari The Death of a Mafia Don and yet another insight in to the world of the Mafia.If you have any 'Jump on books ' write and tell us all. Books cannot be reserved before the day.