Wednesday 25 June 2014

A run in with the law

I  do sometimes wonder if it is me.
Today coming back from Laguepie, there had been a road accident on one of our little crossroads, funnily enough just about where our illegal sign is. Both cars were write offs but looked bashed up enough without the accident.
The gendarmes and the pompiers were there when I arrived. The cars, one in a ditch and another at the side of the road. Neither was blocking the road I would take, but the pompiers' van, which was badly parked, was. I waited about 5 mins as everyone was just standing about waiting for a recovery lorry and then a pompier came up and told me to turn around and go back by Varen. Perhaps a quarter of an hour run instead of two minutes to home, when all he needed to do was move his van one metre further in.
I got out and surveyed the scene and politely suggested if they slightly moved their van I could be away, no trouble. The gendarmes came over and so the pompier humpfed and moved his van.
What an absolute cheek. I said to Malc "was it because I was English?" Malc thought  French people would not dare ask anyone to move and would have just agreed; well more fool them.
I met the renters when I got home and they said the gendarmes had been here  looking for me! yikes!
but they thought they were asking as to whom the really bashed up car belonged and I might have known.
Which I probably do; it may be the Dutch  squatter who lives in the woods, comes every summer for his holls
One driver  apparently ran off from the scene of the accident; he may have no tax or insurance, an unroadworthy car and possibly under the influence of some mind altering drug.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com