Tuesday 30 June 2015

More on this later

Dear Val

Perhaps this could be the first entry for Malcs Diary!

Some of you will remember that I have been trying to link up English saints names particularly St George with the Hundred Years War and so try to identify whether how far the English penetrated into this area. Well someone much better qualified and resourced than I has been doing exactly the same thing – Professor Catherine Léglu of the Department of Medieval French Studies will be speaking at Laguipie on Tuesday 14th July at 2.30pm. Her illustrated lecture will be in English at the Salle des Associations.
She is taking a broad focus which I think many of us will find interesting – What was the rule of the Albigensian cruisade, the dowry of Eleanor of Aquitaine and the songs of the troubadours and trouvères as well as my own interest the cults of saints such as Saints George, Faith and Thomas à Becket.
To me it will be absolutely fascinating and I only hope not too academic and if one can survive the half hour French resume there will be an intriguing pause café – Té e cocons. I think this is in Occitan but so far attempts to translate it have not succeeded even by our local Occitan expert Gavin Porter and the 84 year old bi lingual Occitan/French granny at my quilting class. Té we know is Tea and e with, but cocons? Every translation says cocoons. Even the automatic spell checker has altered it to cocoons. People are hoping/guessing that it is a form of cake or biscuit but perhaps duvets or some edible cocoon will appear and our reactions will all be part of the presentation!
Ginny  
Val says - we  are looking forward to this and I believe Malc has a post written in readiness.
Hi Val
 
I know of Cocons de Lyon which are a marzipan confectionery shaped like a silk worm cocoon after the silk industry in Lyon. 
Maybe it is these?
 

John