Thursday 26 February 2015

My first meals in France more than 55 years ago

Talking about the pigeon recipes reminded me of my first ever meals in France.  At 14 years old I exchanged with a French girl Annie who lived at  Roubaix near Lille. Roubaix was twinned with Middlesbrough. The father had a brilliant potager and cages in the garden with a white rabbit and a couple of pigeons. I thought it " dead chouette" till the day the rabbit disappeared. I asked where it had gone and the family explained that was the delicious thing we had eaten for lunch. I with righteous indignation said " I would have let it escape" The father said " no, no then the neighbours would have caught and eaten it" I later found out that we had also eaten the pigeons but they did not bother me as much as the rabbit.
I also remember I was allowed half a glass of wine with my meals. The family asked if I drank wine at home.  Well of course this was before wine had become popular in the UK. I did say " yes I drink wine " as Mum made her own dandelion wine which she was forever trying to give to somebody, anybody! so I felt that qualified.

Hi Val
I thought the translation of 'chouette' was owl or does it have other translations?
S

It also means " sweet" I think 
although " dead sweet" not so sure about. I better check it, could have been the extra glass of wine at lunch having its effect!
 Phew it does mean cute, dead cute.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com